Fried Green Plantains with Mayo-Ketchup Dipping Sauce. They are great as a side dish or appetizer. After you smash them, but before you fry them the second time, you can put them in a resealable plastic bag and freeze them for later.
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/2 cup ketchup
1 large clove garlic, pressed
3 cups canola oil for frying
2 green plantains, peeled and cut into 1 1/2-inch chunks
1 pinch garlic salt
- Heat oil in a deep-fryer or large saucepan to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Fry plantain chunks until golden but not browned, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Drain on a plate lined with paper towels.
- Allow the plantains to cool slightly, then smash each piece of plantain in a tostonero or with the bottom of a clean can.
- Fry the flattened plantains a second time until golden and crisp, 5 to 7 minutes more.
- Season with garlic salt.