Easy to make vegetable beef soup with a little hot sauce to spice it up!
- 1 lb (0.5 kg) beef stew meat
- 3 celery ribs
- 10 baby carrots (or a couple regular carrots)
- 2 potatoes (peeled if you like)
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 2 (14 ounce) cans diced tomatoes (I use salt-free)
- 3 1⁄2 cups beef broth (or 2 14-oz cans)
- 2 small bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (or any cooking oil)
- 4 cups water
- 2 teaspoons hot pepper sauce
- Cut meat into small, bite-size (1/2") pieces.
- In a large pot or dutch oven, saute meat in 1 T oil on medium-high heat until all sides are brown. Set aside on a plate.
- Chop celery, onion, potatoes, and carrots into bite-size pieces.
- Saute celery and onion in remaining 1 T oil until onion is golden (about 10 minutes).
- Add browned beef, water, broth, tomatoes with juices, carrots, potatoes, corn, bay leaves and garlic. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer uncovered until beef is almost tender, about an hour.
- Add peas and hot sauce to soup.
- Cover and simmer until beef is tender, about 30 minutes longer.
Serve and season with freshly ground black pepper, hot sauce, or crumbled saltines, if desired.... bon appetit!