This is a fantastic tasting salad. Definitely worth the time to prepare!
- 2 medium fresh beets or a can of sliced beets.
- 1 package (5 ounces) mixed salad greens
- 2 medium navel oranges, peeled and sliced
- 1 small fennel bulb, halved and thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped hazelnuts, toasted
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons grated orange zest
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- Preheat oven to 425°.
- Cut slits in beets; place on a baking sheet.
- Bake until tender, about 1 hour.
- When cool enough to handle, peel beets and cut into wedges.
- Divide greens among salad plates; top with beets, oranges, fennel and hazelnuts.
- Combine dressing ingredients in a jar with a tight-fitting lid; shake well. Drizzle over salads.
Tip: To toast nuts, bake in a shallow pan in a 350° oven for 5-10 minutes or cook in a skillet over low heat until lightly browned, stirring occasionally.