Tender and juicy, this swiftly grilled sirloin is quick and easy to make. Serve with mushrooms for an earthy finish.
- 1 bone-in sirloin steak, 1 inch thick (about 1 lb.)
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp. canola oil
- 2 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1⁄2 lb. button mushrooms, trimmed and thinly sliced (about 3 cups)
- 1 small shallot, minced
- 1 slice slice thick-cut ham, finely diced
- Lemon wedge, for garnish (optional)
- Parsley, for garnish (optional)
- Season the steak generously with salt and pepper. Heat a large skillet to high heat and add the oil. Once hot but not yet smoking, add the steak. Cook, turning once, until well browned on both sides, about 4 minutes per side for medium-rare.
- Meanwhile, heat a separate large skillet to medium-high heat and add the butter. Once melted and bubbly, add the mushrooms and shallot and cook, stirring occasionally, until the released liquid has evaporated and the mushrooms are lightly browned. Stir in the ham and cook 30 seconds.
- Transfer the steak to a plate and surround it with the mushroom mixture. Serve immediately, garnishing the plate with a lemon wedge and parsley if desired.
Tip: Add broccoli and mashed potatoes to complete your dinner!