This is a tasty vegetable beef soup recipe made with meaty soup bones-beef shanks-and a variety of vegetables
- 2 to 3 pounds beef shanks
- 8 cups beef stock (unsalted or low sodium, or use beef base and water)
- 3/4 cup onion (chopped)
- 3/4 cup celery (chopped)
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper (coarsely ground)
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 (14.5-ounce) cans tomatoes (diced)
- 2 cups cabbage (shredded)
- 1 cup carrots (thinly sliced)
- 1 1/2 cups green beans (fresh cut or frozen)
- 1 1/2 cups potato (diced, raw)
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- Kosher salt (to taste)
- Optional: 1 teaspoon sugar
- Gather the ingredients.
- In a large stockpot or Dutch oven, combine the beef shanks, water, beef stock, salt, onions, celery, pepper, and bay leaf. Cover the pot and bring it to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 3 hours.
- Add tomatoes, cabbage, carrots, green beans, potatoes, and Worcestershire sauce to the pot, along with sugar, if using. Continue to simmer for about 45 minutes longer, or until vegetables are tender. Taste and adjust seasonings.
- Remove the bay leaf and ladle the soup into bowls.
- Serve the soup with crusty bread or rolls. Cool leftover soup and store it in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.