Beef tongue belongs in the category of foods that you wonder, why on earth someone would want to eat it, and once you taste it, you hate yourself for not having tried it sooner ;-)
- beef tongue
- 1/2 big onion, sliced (white or yellow)
- 5 to 8 cloves of garlic
- 1-2 bay leaves
- sea salt to taste
- 6-12 tacos
- homemade salsa
- Put beef tongue, onion, garlic and bay leaves in a slow cooker and add enough water to cover tongue. Cook overnight on low. You can also gently boil it on the stovetop for 2 hours to 3 hours, until the beef tongue turns very tender.
- When the tongue is cool enough to handle, peel off and discard rough skin.
- Cut tongue in 1/2-inch slices across grain then into 1/2-inch cubes. It can also be shredded or sliced, depend on the dish you cook.
- When ready to serve, heat oil in a large nonstick or cast iron skillet set over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add tongue pieces and cook, stirring occasionally, until tongue is well browned on all sides, 2 to 3 minutes total. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- For the tacos prepare simple toppings – homemade salsa, red onion, queso casera, and cilantro to make it perfect!