Flavored with honey, hoisin sauce and Chinese five-spice, this one-pan chicken dish makes a cheap and easy midweek family meal!
- 8 chicken thighs, skin on and bone in (see special)
- 4 tbsp hoisin sauce
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 2 tbsp clear honey
- 1½ tsp Chinese five-spice powder
- thumb-sized knob of ginger, grated
- 2 garlic cloves, grated
- bunch spring onions, chopped
- 50g cashew nuts, toasted
- cooked brown rice, to serve
- Heat the oven to 200C/180C. Arrange the chicken thighs in a large roasting tin and slash the skin 2-3 times on each thigh. Mix together the hoisin, sesame oil, honey, five-spice, ginger, garlic and some seasoning.
- Pour over the chicken and toss to coat – you could now marinate the chicken for 2 hrs, or overnight if you have time.
- Roast, skin-side up, for 35 mins, basting at least once.
- Stir through the cashew nuts and sprinkle the spring onions over the chicken.
- Return to the oven for 5 mins, then serve with brown rice.