An easy and spicy black bean soup.
- 2 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp. minced jalapeños
- 1 tbsp. tomato paste
- kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1/2 tsp. cumin
- 3 (15-oz.) cans black beans, with liquid
- 1 qt. low-sodium chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 bay leaf
- sour cream, for garnish
- Sliced avocado, for garnish
- Chopped fresh cilantro, for garnish
- In a large pot over medium heat, heat oil. Add onion and cook until soft and translucent, about 5 minutes. Add jalapeños and garlic and cook until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add tomato paste, stir to coat vegetables, and cook about a minute more. Season with salt, pepper, chili powder, and cumin and stir to coat.
- Add black beans with their liquid and chicken broth. Stir soup, add bay leaf and bring to a boil. Immediately reduce to a simmer and let simmer until slightly reduced, about 15 minutes. Remove bay leaf.
- Using an immersion blender or food processor, blend the soup to desired consistency.
- Serve with a dollop of sour cream, sliced avocado, and cilantro.