Lovely King's day tompouce. Filled with custard, mmmm!
- 4 square sheets of puff pastry
- 1/4th recipe for thick custard
- 3 tablespoons powdered sugar
- a few drops of lemon juice
- pinch of orange food coloring
- 1 tablespoon water
- Start with the recipe for custard, you can also use store-bought thick custard if you prefer. PRE-HEAT the oven to 180 degrees Celsius or 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- DIVIDE the square puff pastry sheets into halves, so you’ll end up with rectangles. Use a fork to create holes in the puff pastry, this will make sure the dough won’t puff up too much.
- PLACE them on the oven tray and bake them for about 10 minutes.
- REMOVE them from the oven and use a clean kitchen towel to press the air out of the dough.
- Then BAKE them again for another 5 minutes, or until they’re beautiful golden brown. Let them cool off completely.
Making the glaze is easy, just COMBINE water, lemon juice, food coloring and powdered sugar. DIVIDE the custard over 4 puff pastry rectangles. DIP the other 4 rectangles in the glaze, you can also use a spoon for this. PLACE the orange rectangles on top of the custard and let the glaze harden a bit. Enjoy!